Thursday, June 28, 2007

Nearfest->Saturday : IZZ


From the States, IZZ had moments of sparkle and brilliance. Anmarie Byrnes and Laura Meade provided dual vocals, along with brothers Galbano: Tom (keyboards) and John(bass). However, I found the vocals somewhat muddled at times. Perhaps, it was a faulty mix, or perhaps it was where I was seated (way up in the balcony and all the way back, row EE, seat 11).

I was excited at the prospect of the band sporting two drummers, Greg Dimiceli on an acoustic set and Brian Coralian on a half acoustic, half electronic kit. Still, while they each gave a fine performance, I didn’t feel this mesh of two drummers added that much.

What did impress me was that Tom Galbano, rather than having rack upon rack of keyboards(not that there’s anything wrong with it), only had one. Instead of proving to be a handicap, he showed how amazingly versatile he could be with just one set of keys, getting the most use from his instrument. When, at one point, brother John joined him on keys--well, let's just say Chopsticks it wasn’t!

I’d say they started Saturday on the right foot.

No comments: