Sunday, July 1, 2007

Nearfest->Sunday : La Maschera Di Cera


During my festival hiatus, I've often wondered what happened to Finisterre. I’ve an album or two by them, and of course, I saw them at Progday ’97. My all-time unforgettable Progday moment was when their guitarist nailed the solo in Firth of Frith.

Finisterre’s bassist, Fabio Zuffanti, went on to La Maschera Di Cera, where Italian Prog lives on. Agostino Macor smacks wall-to-wall keys, pumping out mellotron and juicy analog sounds. Instead of guitar, at times the flute is the lead instrument, piped by Andrea Monetti. The vocalist, Alessandro Corvaglia, provided a strong vocal, reminding me of Deus Ex Machina’s Alberto Piras. At times, Fabio’s bass provided a heavier, rockier sound, making up for the lack of lead guitar.
Italian prog is always a treat and they went on to provide my second favorite performance of the weekend.

No comments: