Monday, September 10, 2007

Progday 2007: Oblivion Sun

Stan Whitaker and Frank Wyatt of Oblivion Sun were the biggest names at Progday, alumni of Happy The Man, giants of classic American Prog--and Virginia based at that! This was, for obvious reasons, my second favorite performance of the weekend. Bill Plummer(hidden by the left speaker stack), really floored me, taking the figurative Progday cake for best keys.

They played two HTM classics: Leave That Kitten Alone, Armone and I Carve The Chariot on the Carousel. For some reason, by Monday evening, my memory recalled Knee Bitten Nymphs in Limbo instead of Carousel. Unfortunately, the great outdoors really baked my brain with its oblivion sun.

Some say they are HTM on steroids, perhaps because the recent HTM album seemed rather feathery. To me, Oblivion Sun seemed like another permutation of HTM. Even in their heyday, they showed a lighter side half the time, almost "new age" by today's standards, before that wretched label came into existence. Energy is not always manifested as speed, but sometimes it comes like an imperceptible and unrelenting tide.

No comments: