Monday, September 10, 2007

Progday 2007: Skeletonbreath

Skeletonbreath were THE BEST OF THE FEST. A trio of violin, bass and drums--they sizzled! I was determined NOT to buy any albums from the performers this time around, attempting to save my money in order to buy ultrarare prog jems. However, I had to make this one exception. Louise only cost ten bucks, which I was happy to part with. I think they could've doubled the price.

I couldn't help contrast Robert Pycior with Indukti's Ewa Jablonska(as heard at Nearfest). Pycior delivers frantic lead violin, skillfully played, while Jablonska merely offered ornamental textures that probably anyone could have delivered given a few months training. Not to take anything away from Frogg Café's Bill Ayasse, but Robert Pycior obviously wins best fiddle--better than I've seen in a rocky context in quite a while.

No comments: