Monday, October 22, 2007

Podcasts

As a gift, my wife gave me an ipod back in May. At first, I wondered what in the brane I'd do with it. My car has a CD player, so why do I need this trendy little device--this fad? Yeah, I dumped scores of albums onto it. I purchased a couple from iTunes. But, of course, there's only so many dozen times of listening to Spock's Beard or Mike Oldfield before once experiences music burnout.

And then I discovered the wonders of Podcasts. Rather late in the game, some may say. Others, like I was, may be hesitant to give this medium a try. I really believe podcasts have real staying power. It's great for the commute to work and back. It's great when doing the dishes and laundry. And the best part, like radio, many Podcasts are free, however, unlike radio you've more say about the content.

I listed some of my favorite podcasts in the Links. Of all of them, Adventures in Scifi has caught my fancy the most. Upbeat, sometimes to the point of lunacy, and yet not too over-the-top, they discuss what's happening in the world of SF&F, namely in reference to the written word. They interview authors. They discuss writing tips. As voracious readers of the books and mags, they know their stuff. And if you poke around the links listed on their blog, you will probably discoverer some other great productions as well.

Then there is Escape Pod, a podcast of pro and semi-pro SF&F short stories and novelettes. You'll find stories from the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Realms of Fantasy, Asimov's, Interzone, ect. If you're like me, your reading logjam is too backed up too catch all of the shorts, or perhaps the trope is not appealing, or an opening didn't grab. Here's a chance to listen to a story that you might not otherwise read.

Lastly, I want to highlight I Should Be Writing. Not as exciting as the other two, but very instructional. Lots of pauses to help make the listener think and absorb.

A wise man once said, 'Don't be the first to jump on a bandwagon--don't be the last.' If you haven't discovered podcasts, maybe it's time to give them a try. And if you discover a good one, let me know!

3 comments:

Shaun Farrell said...

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the large and varied world of podcasting! You'll never go back. Who wants to listen to radio and all those commercials anyway?

Thanks for giving our show a nice plug. I'm already preparing for season 2, and it's going to be awesome! But don't just take my word for it! I hope you stick around during the break.

Some other SF podcasts you might enjoy if you don't already: Slice of Scifi for film and television, The Odyssey Workshop podcast, The Secrets Podcast for Writers, and The Future and You.

Have fun!

Christopher Scott Owens said...

Thanks Shaun!

I wish my plug could make a difference--but I'm a nobody. Maybe a rare soul will stumble upon my humble 'blog' long enough to link over to you.

I definitely look forward to Season 2. Meanwhile, I'll check the other podcasts you recommended as well.

Shaun Farrell said...

You might be surprised who visits your blog, especially one you have 30 or 40 posts with links pointing at other sites.

Enjoy all the podcasts!