Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Writers Of The Future Q407 : Finalist!!!

http://wotfblog.galaxypress.com/2007/11/4th-quarter-writers-of-future-finalists.html

I feel I should say something insightful, something profound, but right now my mind is all a jumble. In fact, if I were the first man on the moon, those would probably be my words upon stepping out of the Eagle: "Um--uh--my mind is blank!"

Of course, there's only a 37% chance that my story will place first, second, or third. The judges will have to weigh my story's merits against 7 others. I am pleased to see a fellow Virginian among the finalists. It's a possibility, albeit a slim one, that we'll both be in the workshop and our stories in the anthology. Wouldn't that be a good way to represent Virginia!!!

Though I haven't yet made it, I have to say, crafting a publishable story isn't easy. It takes work and there are many dimensions of consideration. Style, characterization, plot, clarity, pace, suspense, ect, ect--and in SF&F there is the added burden of worldbuilding & making the unreal credible-seeming. This particular story went through 3 drafts. Then, since mistakes abound, two rounds of proofreading. Hours and hours of work over many months.

None of this would've been possible either without solid feedback, which I recieved from my wife and Paul Comstock, a fellow Hatracker, Critter, and Writers Of The Future semifinalist. Many thanks to them!

Incidentally, here's a link to Paul's site, which contains many helpful tips on writing:
http://www.paulallancomstock.com/

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am pleased to see a fellow Virginian among the finalists. It's a possibility, albeit a slim one, that we'll both be in the workshop and our stories in the anthology. Wouldn't that be a good way to represent Virginia!!!

Congratulations!

And I agree! It would be cool to see double representation of the Commonwealth, wouldn't it!

Now, let's hurry up with the waiting. :-)

Brenta

P.S. I attended Governor's School, a few (ahem) years (okay, decades) ago at the University of Richmond.

Christopher Scott Owens said...

Congrats, Brenta! Hope to see you at the workshop.

Erin Cashier said...

Hey Chris! :D Congrats! :D (the Erin in the contest ;))

Christopher Scott Owens said...

Thanks! You too!