Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Nearfest 08 -> Saturday : Liquid Tension Experiment


Though I have their first album, I wasn't aware that Liquid Tension Experiment were considered prog metal. Seeing them live, there's no doubt. I'm not a big fan of prog metal in general, but they are an exception. Hands down, Tony Levin was the best bass player at Nearfest--no surprise there. And, of course, if you're a drummer, Mike Portnoy needed no introduction. John Petrucci played heavy licks with technical finesse, but also revealed a softer side. Jordan Rudess only played on ONE keyboard that swiveled 360, but he was outstanding.

My attention did start to drift after a while. If they used the heavier elements sparingly, their compositions and improv would stand out more. The music would have more power. However, at the end, it was their take on Rhapsody In Blue that won me over. If George Gershwin was rolling in his grave--he was rocking'n'rolling. Move over Gershwin and give Bernstein the news...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish not acquiesce in on it. I over warm-hearted post. Specially the designation attracted me to study the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.