Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Nearfest 08 -> Sunday : Banco del Mutuo Soccorso

This is what it's all about! Symphonic prog at its best. The British might have invented Prog, but the Italians perfected it. Banco's Io Sono Nato Libero is one of the best compositions of all the ages. Even without Francesco Di Giacomo's operatic voice, Di Terra proved to be a strong album as well.

Unlike many other groups the same age, Banco is just as good today as they were thirty years ago. Francesco's vocals are still as powerful as they ever were. As is Vittorio Nocenzi's skills at the keys. The biggest surprise was wind player Alessandro Papotto perfectly quoting Rhapsody in Blue and then utterly slaying his instrument--musically speaking.

There were chops galore. And heart lifting melodies. By the end, I wanted to go down and give Francesco a bear hug.

3 comments:

paolo sciola said...

Hi Chris,
I'm from Italy and I've read your blog searching for Banco's live performance at NEARfest 2008 (next year there will be PFM!).
I agree with your opinion. I grew with all that prog-rock bands you list. And finally I also like writing (short stories, novels and poems). One of these (a novel) has been published.
Good things for you.
Paolo Sciola.

Christopher Scott Owens said...

Paolo,

Many thanks. Ah, writing fiction, Italian Prog, Italian food--life can't get much better than that!

Yep, I'd love to see PFM. Storia di un minuto is one of the Top 10 albums of all times. As is Per un amico. I can't count how many times I've listened to them.

I'm hoping next year to be able to afford Nearfest XI. Over here in the US, things are kind of dire economically. Also, Nearfest sells out in a matter of minutes sometimes. If I can afford it--I hope I can get tickets! With PFM on the bill, that might prove difficult.

Viva Italia!
Chris

paolo sciola said...

Chris,

PFM is always worth the price of the ticket, today more than ever.

In live performance they are increasingly good.

If you already don't own it, I can reccomend to you "Stati di Immaginazione", a 2006 release: A record of only music without vocals that is impressive for freshness and fantasy.

In some of the pieces there is even the old vintage sound of minimoog.

I find it of a moving beauty.

There are really good reviwes over the CD in progarchives.com.

You can also download it from the web, as I did.

Finally the time is calling things about the rilevance and the beauty of Prog-Rock of Italian matrix.

Welcome you on our side.

(Italian food could be dangerous to your physical line :-) but even less than american eating way!)

Paolo.